Monday, October 11, 2010

Weekly Challenge #11


I'm late. Again. Sorry guys.

In case you are new:

Each week we are given two challenges. These challenges will start on Sunday (usually) and go through the following Saturday. (click here to learn more about our weekly challenges)

At the end of the week, we will each write a post explaining our experiences with the challenges.

BE HONEST. If you failed the challenge, tell us why. If you rocked it, tell us how. Most importantly, tell us how you feel about it.


This week's challenges

Physical Challenge: Focus!

Choose one area of your body, and really focus on that for the rest of the week. Your legs, your butt, your abs, your arms, your chest, your eyebrows, etc. Wherever you really want to see a difference.

For example: Say you choose your legs. This week you will do a lot of running, lunging, stair stepping, and jump roping. You may even head to the gym, and use the leg options on one of those complicated weight machines.

You can do still your regular stuff, but try to really focus, and add some intense exercise on whatever part of your body you choose.

Nutritional Challenge: Eat Breakfast

You've heard it before: Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

But why? According to The Mayo Clinic, Breakfast has a lot of benefits:

* Eating breakfast reduces your hunger later in the day, making it easier to avoid overeating. When you skip breakfast, you may feel ravenous later and be tempted to reach for a quick fix, such as candy from the vending machine. In addition, prolonged fasting — which occurs when you skip breakfast — can increase your body's insulin response, which in turn increases fat storage and weight gain. In fact, skipping breakfast actually increases your risk of obesity.
* Eating breakfast gets you on track to make healthy choices all day. People who eat breakfast regularly tend to eat a healthier diet — one that is more nutritious and lower in fat. When you skip breakfast, you're more likely to skip fruits and vegetables the rest of the day too.
* Eating breakfast gives you energy, increasing your physical activity during the day. A healthy breakfast refuels your body and replenishes the glycogen stores that supply blood sugar (glucose). Skipping breakfast is associated with decreased physical activity.

-The Mayo Clinic

And more specifically,

People who skip breakfast are generally heavier than people who eat a nutritious breakfast.
-Mr. Healthy

And so this week, we are going to focus on eating something healthy before we run out the door.

3 comments:

Chantel on October 11, 2010 at 9:39 PM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chantel on October 11, 2010 at 9:39 PM said...

Hm... I need to work on the breakfast thing. Usually we have greendrinks, but sometimes we have them later in the day if we run late in the morning

Can I get an example of what I would do to improve my eyebrows please? That's what I chose but I could use some pointers.

Chantel on October 11, 2010 at 9:40 PM said...

ps. don't worry one bit about not posting this sooner.

z

Annie, age 29

About Annie

With everything I am responsible for at home, my ridiculous work schedule and my health problems, it makes it hard to keep working out on the front burner. But when I heard about this blog, I thought 'why not!'. I'm excited to get started and hopefully I won't die of exhaustion when this is all over!

Heléna, age 26

About Helena

I can't fit into my clothes! After getting married and being forced to eat my own cooking, I started gaining weight. The desk job didn't really help. I gained 30 lbs in the past year, and I can really feel it when I try to get dressed in the morning. I am really good at starting diet and exercise programs; but really bad at finishing them. And that's all about to change...

Body Fat Calculator



BMI Calculator

Height: feet
inch(es)
Weight: pounds

BMI:

If your BMI is You are...
Below 18.5 BMI Underweight
18.5 - 24.9 BMI Normal
25.0 - 29.9 BMI Overweight
30.0 - 34.9 BMI Obese
35.0 - 39.9 BMI Obese
40.0 - 49.9 BMI Extremely Obese

Button #1

Life in the Pitts

Button #2

Life in the Pitts

Followers