Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Diet Plans, You Choose!






Out of the 4 diet plans listed below, each 'contestant' will pick one to follow for the next three months! And the diets are-


The Blood Type Diet

This whole diet is based around the idea that different blood types require different things. If you are a type O you should be eating differently than if you are type AB. The idea is appealing if you are looking for some specific ideas of what you should and shouldn't be eating.

Things You Will Need-

You will need to know your blood type (you can by an at-home test for $9)

You can buy the book or find most of what you need by looking online or on the author's website. They have some of the do's and don't's for your blood type.



My Pyramid Plan

This diet is based around the food pyramid that we all know and love. You get to put in your information (weight and height) and it customizes a pyramid just for you! This diet is appealing if you want to stick to the basics but still have a plan that is built just for you.

Things You Will Need-

Go to the My Pyramid website and type in your information, then get started with your custom pyramid!


80/20 Diet

This diet is based around the fact that you can't always eat 'the best'. Sure...you try, but instead of beating yourself up about eating a cookie, you go for the 80/20 ratio. 80% of your day's intake is good for you and 20% is not as good for you. It doesn't mean you get to just eat junk for the 20%, rather you should shoot for a really good 80% and don't stress over the other 20%.

Things You Will Need-

Nothing, besides a determination to eat well and not stress about a few treats here and there!


Stop Light Diet

This diet is base on the idea that foods fall into three different categories:
  1. Green - go ahead and eat all you want
  2. Yellow - use caution with how often and how much you eat of theses
  3. Red - stop and don't eat these often

The goal is to stick with mostly 'Green' foods and being cautious or avoiding the 'yellow and red' foods. This diet appeals if you want to follow a pretty straightforward approach to what you should and should not be eating.

Things You Will Need-

There are a ton of websites out there that can help in knowing what 'color' your food is. This website separates everything by type of food, this one separates the food by meal (breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner) and there are many more if you go looking. There are also three books by Rick Gallop: The GI Diet, Living The GI Diet, and The GI Diet Express. They look good but aren't necessary to start this diet. If you have an Android phone, you can also get and app for called 'Calorific'. It is free and lets you track how many or each 'color' you have eaten and has lists of different 'color' foods.

By the end of this week, all of us will pick a diet plan and blog about our choice so all of you will know our plan!

1 comments:

Annie on February 1, 2011 at 10:41 PM said...

Exciting! Which to do? I'll sleep on it.....

z

Annie, age 29

About Annie

With everything I am responsible for at home, my ridiculous work schedule and my health problems, it makes it hard to keep working out on the front burner. But when I heard about this blog, I thought 'why not!'. I'm excited to get started and hopefully I won't die of exhaustion when this is all over!

Heléna, age 26

About Helena

I can't fit into my clothes! After getting married and being forced to eat my own cooking, I started gaining weight. The desk job didn't really help. I gained 30 lbs in the past year, and I can really feel it when I try to get dressed in the morning. I am really good at starting diet and exercise programs; but really bad at finishing them. And that's all about to change...

Body Fat Calculator



BMI Calculator

Height: feet
inch(es)
Weight: pounds

BMI:

If your BMI is You are...
Below 18.5 BMI Underweight
18.5 - 24.9 BMI Normal
25.0 - 29.9 BMI Overweight
30.0 - 34.9 BMI Obese
35.0 - 39.9 BMI Obese
40.0 - 49.9 BMI Extremely Obese

Button #1

Life in the Pitts

Button #2

Life in the Pitts

Followers